Support Fit Foundations
Your tax deductible donation helps support our Fit Foundations program.
- 1 in 5 children in Tennessee do not have reliable access to affordable, nutritious food
- 37.7% of Tennessee youth (ages 10-17) are overweight or obese – making Tennessee the highest ranked state in the country for childhood obesity.
- Including when they’re multitasking, 8- to 18-year-olds consume an average of 7 hours and 11 minutes of screen media per day—an increase of 2.5 hours in just 10 years. For each hour of television viewing per day, children consume an additional 167 calories.
Afterschool Programs are at the front line in helping many of these at-risk children. To that end, in 2017, Tennessee Afterschool Network developed Fit Foundations, a program to support afterschool and summer learning programs with the tools and resources needed to help Tennessee’s youth become fit and healthy. Toolkit topics include:
- Physical Activity and Walking/Activity-Based Events
- Healthy Eating and Food Preparation
- Summer Food Service and At-Risk Afterschool Meal Programs
- Professional Development
- Resources for Parents
- Additional Resources