Tennessee Benefit Kitchen is a free screener that all Tennesseans can use to determine eligibility for several tax credits and many federal, state and local public benefits — and to access the application sites to apply for those for which they qualify.
Tennessee residents simply text “Benefits” to 211-211, and they receive a screener that takes 5 to 10 minutes to complete. Once completed, they immediately receive notice of tax credits and benefits for which they are eligible, along with the links to apply to each benefit.
Call 2-1-1 or Use DHS Locator Tool
Need help finding an afterschool program, summer program, or child care near you? If your child doesn’t have access to a school-based program, you can call 2-1-1 or link HERE. Or for child care, link to this TN Dept. Of Human Services SEARCH TOOL.
Resources for Parents
The road to educating our children is increasingly winding and often confusing. These resources have been culled from across the web, to help parents understand and prepare for the changing landscape.
- Be a Learning Hero – Be A Learning Hero helps parents navigate the changes happening in classrooms across the country so they can help their children be successful in school. They provide resources and information for parents from some of the nation’s most well-respected education and parent organizations including the National PTA, Common Sense Media and GreatSchools.
- Child Care Resource & Referral Search – Child Care Aware of America. There are more than 400 local Child Care Resource & Referral (CCR&R) agencies across the United States. Your local CCR&R can help families find child care options near your home or work. They can also assist child care providers with resources for their business.
- Finding the right afterschool program for your family – Afterschool Alliance. Afterschool programs expand learning opportunities for young people of all ages. Here you will find website addresses and PDFs to help you find a program, choose a quality program, see what is available in your area and more. Quality programs are tailored to meet students’ different academic, physical, and social-emotional needs.
- Tennessee Electronic Library – Search for books, articles, newspapers and more. Find homework help, test preps, career tools, and vital records for genealogy.
- KidCentralTN – Health, education, development, and support for Tennessee families and children.
- Photo IDs and Voting: How to Get a Photo ID in Tennessee – All registered voters need to show a valid photo ID when they go to the polls. If you do not have a TN driver’s license or learner’s permit with a photo, you will need an alternative ID. A student ID from a high school, college, or university is NOT acceptable for voting purposes.
- Photo IDs and Voting: Tennessee Affidavit for Voter Photo ID – Individuals who are registered Tennessee voters who do not possess valid government issued photo identification are entitled to receive a free voter photo identification license. This affidavit is required to be completed, signed, and submitted with your application.
- Reading Bear – Reading Bear is a fun way to learn to read. They teach more than 1,200 vocabulary items and have 50 presentations cover all the main phonics rules. All free and nonprofit.
- Summer Learning Week Resources for Families – National Summer Learning Association (NSLA). Summer Learning Week is an annual national advocacy week led by the National Summer Learning Association (NSLA) to elevate the importance of keeping kids learning, safe and healthy every summer.
- United Way’s Raise Your Hand TN – Raise Your Hand Tennessee is a statewide effort to recruit volunteers to read, tutor, and mentor children. Anyone with passion and commitment can help children and youth succeed in school and in life.
- United Ways of Tennessee – United Ways of Tennessee is spearheading the statewide, collaborative Tennessee Afterschool Network, which is working hard to improve access to high quality afterschool experience for children and youth. UWTN also sponsors Raise Your Hand Tennessee to recruit volunteers to read to, tutor and mentor children and youth.
- Watch Know Learn – Free educational videos.