Save the date! Hill Day is coming up on February 9. We hope that you will attend, bring staff, bring volunteers, bring partner agencies/colleagues interested in our issues, and promote the day in your community. We are doing the event in conjunction with the United Ways of Tennessee and the League of Women Voters, who share our positions on the issues to be covered that day.
To RSVP, just email Mary Graham and let me know the emails of who is attending so I can ensure they receive any updates and information prior to the event.
We will be in the Legislative Lounge from 8:30 until 10 that morning, and the program will include:
- A brief training
- Tips from a legislator on how to have a successful visit
- A walk-through of content, materials and talking points
- Our Tennessee Afterschool Network Champion awards to three legislators (for their federal advocacy for 21st Century).
We will also alert you of any committee meetings, etc. that you might want to attend later that day. We will have leave-behind materials for you to give your legislators including brochures/content, a TN Afterschool Network mouse pad, and talking points for your own use.
We will have two primary content areas this day:
- education on the importance of aligned testing
- education about afterschool and the TN Afterschool Network
- If you have not done so already, please RSVP, and let me know the emails of who is coming from your organization, volunteers, or partner organizations (especially afterschool programs and education related organizations, but all who share our interests are welcome). If you’re an afterschool network hub, we especially need you there!
- Schedule your appointments (after 10 a.m.) with your legislators. You can find them here: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/legislators/. If you need help with this process, please let me know.
- Have the children and youth in your program make “we love afterschool” valentines that you can bring and give your legislators.
Here’s a link on close parking in addition to that at the Nashville Public Library. If you need hotel reservations, here’s a great link with tons of suggestions.
Find Us on Facebook – Here is a link to the Hill Day Facebook Event